What is an IoT gateway? The Definition, Function and Application
IoT gateway is essentially an intelligent central hub for IoT devices. An Internet of Things (IoT) gateway is a physical device or software program that acts as a connection point between the cloud and IoT devices such as controllers, sensors, and smart devices.
Organizations can use gateways to connect IoT devices for data processing and to monitor and manage IoT devices.
Why do you need to use industrial IoT gateways?
Almost all Industrial IoT solutions require gateways because small IoT devices such as sensors and actuators cannot connect directly to the IT infrastructure. Device limitations such as small physical size, harsh environmental conditions, remote locations, large battery power, fast response times, and low costs require suitable IoT device platforms, protocols, and networks to accommodate uses that are different from mainstream IT systems.
1. Protocol conversion – The main function of the gateway is to convert industrial system-specific protocols into business application languages: BACnet, Ethernet/IP, EtherCat, PROFINET and OPC UA
2. Edge Computing – Local applications running on the gateway interact directly with connected IoT devices, thereby improving response times, improving reliability, and reducing upstream bandwidth.
1. Industrial IoT gateways wirelessly connect traditional and remote industrial equipment to next-generation smart infrastructure.
2. The Industrial IoT gateway is designed to be rugged and suitable for mission-critical systems and industrial environments that use sensor nodes or I/O devices to collect data.
3. IoT gateways can be configured with a variety of different protocols that enable them to communicate with these end-to-end sensor nodes or I/O devices.
4. Deploying an industrial IoT gateway can collect, filter, process and analyze data locally at the edge and then send it to the cloud. They relieve the burden on clouds and data centers from processing the vast amounts of data generated by sensors and industrial IoT devices, improving response times and reducing network transmission costs.
Finally, employing an IoT gateway to access previously hidden data from sensors, embedded controllers, and IO devices can be valuable for many enterprise processes and applications, such as:Remote monitoring, Maintenance,Production Optimization,Building Automation ect.
BLIIOT Industrial Edge IoT Gateway
Multi-serial ports and multi-network ports, downlink collection of multiple protocols, uplink compatible with multiple protocols, can collect data from 100 devices at the same time, and access multiple platforms at the same time. Applicable to Industrial Internet of Things, digital transformation, smart city, smart property, smart energy, smart transportation, etc.